Today I brewed my fourth brew, a wheat beer with orange zest. This was my second non-kit brew and I am starting to experiment with flavors and ingredients. I used a can of wheat extract and a can of light extract, and used saaz hops for the first time today. I added orange zest in the last 5 minutes of boil to compare to adding peels in primary like in my last brew. I used the white lab hefeweizen ale yeast WLP300 again as it seems to be working nicely in my last brew, but this time I remember to take it out of the fridge four hours before adding it to the wort like the bottle suggests.
Last night I built a wort chiller using 10 feet of 3/8 OD soft copper tubing and two 5 feet pieces of 3/8 ID food grade tubing. I was hoping I could get the wort chiller started with my auto siphon and pull ice water from a bucket to chill the brew but the suction would not keep the water flowing so I had to continuously pump the auto siphon. I chilled the brew to 80 degrees and took a specific gravity of 1.040 before I added my yeast.
I have my preferred airlock in use on my first orange wheat while it is in secondary. This caused me a bit of dismay because I had to use my 3-piece airlock which I have never used before but hopefully I have it in place right and it will not cause a problem for me. The beer closet currently had over 15 gallons of homebrew in it before I removed the case of German light. So much homebrew would make anyone smile.